January 21, 2016

Frequently Asked Questions

We try to anticipate questions you might have about our flight school and provide the answers here. If you need additional information send email to info@perryairflight.com or call 1-478-284-0880 any time.

    1.  How long does it take to learn to fly?
      A lot depends on how often you can take lessons, but the FAA minimum is 40 hours of instruction, 20 of which are with the instructor.


    1. What is required in addition to lessons?
      You will have to get a 3rd class medical certificate from an AME (a doctor certified by the FAA to issue medicals) before you solo, you will have to pass a written test, and take a checkride with a DPE (examiner authorized by the FAA to give check rides).


    1. Do you have a required ground school?
      We have found it more cost effective to guide you to commercially available online ground schools. By using these online sources, it’s possible to study at your own pace and ask any questions you have during your flying lessons. Certain information is also taught during your lessons as required for safety and mandatory knowledge items, but the bulk of the knowledge can be gotten from the online source. In any event, a ground school is NOT required before you start lessons.


    1. What do I need to do to get started?
      The best way to get started is to schedule a Discovery Flight and start flying! You will actually get to take “mini-lesson” and get to ask any questions you have before and after your flight. After that, the sky is literally the limit! Neither a medical nor a ground school are prerequisites for starting your lessons.


    1. How much will it cost?
      Probably not as much as you’d think! The exact cost is hard to give because it depends on how long it takes you to fulfill all the requirements for taking the checkride and which aircraft you use. We have prepared estimates of the cost based on the FAA minimum requirements which you can discuss when you take your Discovery Flight.


  1. What is required to rent an aircraft?
    You need the following current credentials: Pilot’s license, medical, current biennial, and be current in your instrument rating if renting for IFR. The 182 also requires a high performance indorsement.If it is your first time renting from us, you’ll need a short check-out with one of our instructors. We will also place you in our online scheduler so you can schedule future rentals.